This 1936 aerial photo features what was once the Bush family's estate surrounded by the developing neighborhoods of south Salem. The Bush House and Barn area -- at the time still owned and occupied by the family -- are located among the trees at the upper left corner of the property. The open fields to the right had been given to the City for use as a park in 1917.
There are none of the landmarks we see today -- no stadium, no ball field, no soap box derby track -- just trees and open pasture and a number of well-worn footpaths cutting through the fields, and the sinuous line of Pringle Creek winding through the grid.
What a treasure it is to have this land protected as a park for the citizens of Salem. Come and enjoy it while the skies are clear!